Sunday, October 3, 2010

Trusting


"I need you to find love. . . you know, be open to it. . . so I can believe in it too." ~ from my bestie

Cristina and Meredith
I had this conversation with my bestie, for those who don't know who she is, we'll call her Cristina* (as in, Cristina Yang from Grey's Anatomy - NOT that she is Asian or anal or bossy or as aggressive like Cristina, but, well, you'll get it if you keep reading). So for those of you who DON'T watch Grey's, I'll try to break it down for you to make sense. On the show, there are two best friends, Meredith and Cristina. Meredith has finally found love with Derek - it took her a long time for her to realize that he was The One, but now that she has, she isn't letting go. Cristina, however, was previously engaged to Burke - didn't marry him, but is now is married to Owen. . . Oddly enough though, she is fairly jaded, and isn't one to let people get close to her. Long story short - Meredith and Cristina are soulmates - as I feel me and my bestie are.

Cristina (my bestie) knows me for me. I tell her everything, and there is no judging between us. She knows any "dark" secrets, she and I have laughed like no other, and she knows what has hurt me the most. While my intention is NOT to put anyone on blast, I will say that I have been wounded like no other. I have my close friends, but it is hard for me to let people into my inner circle. I may be outgoing, but not everyone knows my life story, or the story that makes me who I am today. With that said, I am quite jaded when it comes to dating and relationships.

Unfortunately, I do tend to keep a wall up - scared that my past may repeat itself. I find myself debating "fight or flight" often - even if there is no instance to warant that reasoning. Things are black and white for me. I am all or nothing. The grey area tends to freak me out. Even though I try not to, the scarring still remains, and I find myself flinching (literally and figuratively) from experiences that I would rather bury in my past.

I feel that there comes a point in all relationships. . . you either go all in, or you walk away.  You must either take that leap of faith, give that other person your heart, and TRUST that they will love you and accept you in return. . . or put up a resistance and ultimately lose. It's like gambling and going all in - if you lose, you walk away a loser, but if you win? If you win. . . you get to reap large rewards. Most of us have experienced the pain of loss - remember your first love? No matter who did the "breaking up", both are losers, and both feel the loss of the other. Some of us have had loves, and some of us have had great loves (à la Charlotte from Sex and the City's analogy). . . and get to spend the rest of our lives with the great love of our life. And most of us have loved and been burned. Have you given your heart, soul and trust to someone only to get it ripped to shreds?

We may fight. We may argue, disagree and at times not get along. But we laugh, enjoy each others' company, make each other happy and find ourselves smiling despite ourselves. We have to consciously make that decision to trust the other person wholly even if that means we may be crushed in return. Without giving our full hearts, we may never experience the joys and thrills of what it means to love. Is opening up to someone such a sacrifice that the reward could potentially mean everlasting love and happiness?

*Names have been changed to protect the innocent and the guilty

1 comment:

  1. Boy do I have loved-and-lost stories. I'm currently happily involved - moving in with with the lady friend in 7 days (gasp!) but been through lots of heartbreak over the last 20 years. Too much to get into here... but I could probably start a blog devoted to my past weird, twisted love life!

    SD
    http://simpledudecomplexworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete